OSTARA HEALTH
Om Mane Padme Hum ~ The Jewel Of The Lotus Resides Within ~ Answers Are Within Us All

Cathy Corcoran

Psychologist and Holistic Therapist
Certified Heal Your Life Workshop Teacher
Contact: ostarahealth@hotmail.com

25 January 2009

Ritual…...

Today I had the honour and blessing of being chosen to be a godparent to one of my lifelong friends daughters.
What was interesting today though is that as I sat in church and recited the “I Do’s” and the “We Will’s” I looked around the church and realised that is all people were doing – reciting the words. They had no passion behind what they were saying and I even noticed some were busy doing other activities – looking at someone, picking up something, attending to their outfit; which made me think they then have no conscious intention behind what they are saying either.
This brought me to the conclusion that people’s understanding of rituals, their faith and these ceremonies needs a massive overhaul. Yes I admit I was saying the words but within myself I questioned really and truly what my faith was and whether I was being true to myself by agreeing to some of the statements read out by the priest.
My main objective for today was to support my friend and truly accept the responsibility of being a godparent for her daughter. With this responsibility though I believe that it doesn’t mean I have to totally agree with all that the religion advocates but that I support her in the understanding of her faith and questions she may have. Truly I believe a godparent is more that of a life support person who helps the spirit on their current journey on this earth. It is holistic and as my friend pointed out she chose us as she believed we were appropriate role models.
I truly support my goddaughter and her family and do as required within the framework to accept this role but what I note is of importance is that I understand the role of the ceremony no matter what the denomination of faith or religion is and that I am not just completing the ritual “just because” that is how it is……
Food for thought…..

No comments: